Indian gymnast and sensation Dipa Karmakar created history as she became “The First Indian” to make the cut for the individual vault finals in her “Debut” Olympic Games after finishing 8th in the Qualifying round in the Summer Olympics, Rio De Janeiro, 2016.
7 things you should know about Dipa:
- · Ms. Dipa who is country’s first woman gymnast to qualify for the Rio Olympics, managed to perform her much-appreciated ' Produnova' vault cleanly to secure 14.850 points after two attempts.
- · Hailing from Agartala, Tripura, Dipa started practising gymnastics when she was 6 years old.
- · She was trained by veteran Bisbeshwar Nandi, and he has been her coach since then from the very beginning.
- · She had flat feet when she first enrolled into gymnastics.
- · At the age of 14, she won the Junior Nationals that were held in Jalpaiguri.
- · Since the year 2007, Dipa holds 77 medals including 67 gold, in state, national and international championships.
- · She is the expert in the most strenuous “Produnova” which is the vault that consists of a front handspring and two front somersaults.
All India Radio wishes all the best to this rising sensation of India and conveys good wishes on behalf of the whole nation!